After traveling to Russia, I have had a change of perspective on things. Being an outsider in another country made me have more compassion for people who are lost or feel out of place. It was an amazing thing to be able to experience what it's like on the other side of the world. I learned so much while I was over there and I met some pretty incredible people that I will never forget. But I've been home for 7 months now....The transition coming home was bitter-sweet. I was finally able to embrace all of my family and friends that I missed so much! But as the excitement of new change dwindled, I found myself missing Russia. Everything about it I missed- my kids, the culture, and the excitement of exploring new things... I even missed the smell (which if you've smelled a sewer,then you have an idea of what Russia smells like). I was torn between being with my family and wanting to explore new places. I didn't want to be sad I was home, because I had definitely missed it, but the feeling of being in challenging situations was something that I now enjoyed. Home didn't give me that thrill; it was something I was already used to. I felt like I didn't have a purpose here at home, like nobody needed me. I served every day in Russia and faced new things; it was a constant change. But now? here at home life slowed down and, surprisingly, it was uncomfortable for me.
My goal when I came home was to visit a new place every month. I knew that the travel bug would stick with me- I loved learning new things and discovering unique places. My friends and family all laughed a little every time I would tell them about a new place I wanted to visit. I was desperately searching for places to go, new scenes to indulge in, new cultures to experience. I wanted to go on road trips, fly across the ocean, visit new countries, but nobody seemed to have the same desire. I was stuck. I was constantly thinking "What now?"
I'm stubborn and often believe that there is only one option or one way to do something.. and when it came to exploring, for me the only option was traveling to other countries. I came home thinking "I am back in the same culture I grew up in, I live with the family that raised me... I am now surrounded by that which is familiar to me. Is there even a possibility to discover new places anymore or do I just have to say sayonara to being an explorer?" But, when I took a step back and looked at all of the people around me, I realized that there were still places that needed exploring! It's still an amazing place here at home. There are still places I have never seen and cities I've never been to. So no, I don't have to go to another country to see how other people live and survive, but I do have to step outside of my comfort zone and put myself in situations where I can see new things; and sometimes that's just a few miles away.
I was given the amazing opportunity to explore and serve in Russia, it truly felt like a dream! Although it was fun and beyond amazing, there were sacrifices I had to make to get me there. Of course money is a huge part of it, without it, it wouldn't have been possible. Not only that, but I didn't have an income while I was in Russia, it was entirely service, I quit my job before leaving, yet I still had to eat and I went on vacations to other countries which all costed money. Another sacrifice I had to make was my family. They say things like this cost an arm and a leg... well, this one costed my family. Okay, no I'm totally kidding, I didn't have to give them away!! (thank goodness!) I did however, give away the time I got to spend with them. Sure, I was able to Facetime, e-mail, and Facebook them, but physically being with them is different and something I wasn't able to do considering I was half way across the world. I also sacrificed a semester of school. I knew that if I wanted to fully enjoy the experience of being in another country, assignments, studying, and tests were something I didn't want to have to worry about.
Most people my age are in school, getting started with their careers, finding eternal companions, or starting families... and maybe you fall into this category. And being this age comes with a lot of responsibilities.... we're becoming adults!! (what!?!) yep, the time is here. Maybe you don't have the money to travel the world or maybe you don't want to take a semester off of school! If you aren't able, for whatever reason, to travel to the other side of the world, does that mean you have to be deprived of the experiences I had in Russia? Absolutely not!! After a month or so... maybe three, of sulking about how I can't go back to Russia and how I'm stuck, and poor me... I decided to get myself out of that rut and look at it from another angel. And I realized something, I realized that I can change just as much here as I did in Russia. And maybe I won't have such an extreme culture shock or even learn another language, but that doesn't mean I can't go out and help people or even experience different cultures! I just have to apply myself! It's amazing the differences you will find just going from city to city!
So for those who aren't content with where they are, but have some factor where they are limited to only staying local, I say LOOK. Find new places, do a little research, step out of that little bubble you live in and be an EXPLORER! Leave for work just 10 minutes earlier than normal and take the time to observe your surroundings, it might surprise you what new things you will notice! Meet new people! You never know what amazing stories 'ordinary' people carry with them! Take a new route! Maybe there is a different way to the grocery store, it might be longer, but you also might find or see something you really like! Think like an explorer! Be curious and question things, take pictures and don't take anything for granted!
Despite the sacrifices I had to make, the withdrawals I experienced, and the goodbyes I had to say, Russia will forever hold a place in my heart. I have traveled many places people have only dreamed of, but sometimes it's not about the miles you've traveled, but about the change you see within yourself. And although I may not be able to afford to travel to some crazy place in this world, I will still seek to find new places. I will travel no matter where I am. I am forever an explorer.
Here are only but a few of the many wonderful things I have been able to do locally!
Cornbellys corn maze! Not only did I get lost in a field of corn, but my insides were all shaken up by the terrifying monsters that hid deep inside the corn! This is a picture of a bunch of my friends on a hay ride to calm our nerves a little! (:
One of my favorite summer activities is going to the hot air balloon festival!! It's a fun way to start your Saturday morning by just relaxing as you watch a dozen balloons fly up into the air!
A new thing I tried was shooting! It was terrifying holding a machine so powerful, but it was also very fun being a 'hunter' for a day!


No comments:
Post a Comment